Thursday, December 3, 2009

Post CT Scan #2

So now I wait.

Tuesday night I was instructed once again to figure out a way to drink another dose of Barium Sulfate. They have a new fangled bottle shape and have tried to mask the chalky taste with an artificial orange cream flavoring. Forever the food tinkerer, I decided to try a frostier approach. I left the bottle in the freezer a little too long forcing me to churn it with a spoon to dislodge the icy chunks from the sides of the container. Instead of chalk, the slushy substance was chock full of ice flakes and olive-sized blobs.

The next morning, for the second bottle, I opted for the straight approach. Guzzled half the bottle and set the rest aside for a little pre-scan refreshment.
I should also mention that I started coughing late on Saturday and should have secured a power dose of Echinacea but a warm bed and sleep seemed prudent. The cold took its usual course but I can't help being reminded of my respiratory condition at exactly this time last year. Saturday (12/5) signals the one year anniversary of my foray into NHL.

The scan was uneventful. Normal niceties with the Tech and a brief synopsis of my journey followed by the ritual stabbing of the needle and subsequent introduction of another 120 mL of contrast and saline. That wonderful internal heat wakes your mouth, chest and then your loins. The CT machine began to accelerate as I was inserted into the "donut." Several "hold your breaths" and in-n-outs later, I'm back on my feet as contrast odor begins emanating from my pores.

My Onc visit is next Wednesday and I really hope that I do not hear from them until that time. If the caller ID displays "Cancer and Hemat" anytime before next week, I will panic slightly. Repeat after me, "NED...NED...NED."

So now I wait.

2 comments:

  1. NED ... NED ... NED ... all the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NED... Ned... NED Love and Prayers. MOM

    ReplyDelete